Here comes the 9 best kayak gps that you can buy and spice up kayaking, Read further to know more.
Now to understand what ‘Kayaking’ really means, you should know that it is nothing but is all about exploring and researching nature.
You should understand that it is normal to go too far at the time when you are venturing out like that in the unknown. Before you analyze the situation or condition, you will come to realize that you may have already lost track of where you were going in the first place and you will come to wonder how you can turn back to the place from where you have started earlier.
At the time of traveling, especially through the water, there is no shock that most of the time you may get lost from your path. So, it is highly recommended and is necessary for you to invest in one of the best Kayak GPS.
In this article, you will get to see a bunch of the best kayak GPS and you will be able to select the right and the best choice for you from the best GPS system recommendations that have been listed below in this article.
When you are kayaking or say traveling through a water body like the sea or a lake, then getting the right navigation can be tricky. It is really common to get lost on the tracks and landmarks that you were going to follow.
The possibility of the above statement increases on some of the troublesome conditions like due to the poor lighting or say due to the foggy weather which makes it hard to see anything ahead.
So, in such harsh and difficult situations or conditions, the necessity of a reliable GPS comes forward as having a GPS device with you in these harsh conditions will make it easier for the person to navigate correctly and find their way in the right path.
Having the best GPS device brings out confidence in you to navigate better and also there are different types of GPS devices available in the market which have various features in them so that in time these devices can provide you with weather updates, maps, and also a camera.
Best Kayak GPS
Below are some of the Best Kayak GPS devices that are available in the market right now,
The GPSMAP 64st GPS is one GPS that in comparison to size is small. This GPS is also very handy to take out as it is pretty lightweight in nature. Talking about the looks of the Garmin GPSMAP 64st, this GPS looks a lot like a handy walkie-talkie.
The GPSMAP 64st is compatible with GLONASS and GPS systems and even in remote areas for the purpose of serving reception and excellent accuracy, this is also being fitted with a quad-helix antenna.
The GPSMAP 64st GPS is already being loaded with a world base map, 250K Worldwide Geocaches, a one-year BirdsEye Satellite Imagery subscription, and TOPO US 100K maps.
Technical Specifications :-
- The very first advantage of the GPSMAP 64st is that it has compatibility with GLONASS and GPS systems.
- The GPSMAP 64st is already being loaded with world base maps, TOPO US 100K maps, BirdsEye Satellite imagery subscription, and 250K Worldwide Geocaches.
- The display of the GPSMAP 64th is daylight-friendly for the purpose of bright or direct sunlight.
- The GPSMAP 64st also comes with a dual battery system of 2 AA batteries or NiMH battery pack.
- The GPSMAP 64st has a screen of size 2.6-inch which is rather small and also the screen of the GPSMAP 64st is not sensitive to touch.
- Another drawback is that the interface of GPSMAP 64st is not user-friendly or intuitive, particularly modern-looking.
- Also, if you want to download some additional maps then it might prove to be a bit of a burdensome task.
If you are someone who has decided to get hands-on with the Magellan Marine Bundle then you should be expecting it to cost you quite a bit as these are the ones that are really high-end as they come.
Talking about the eXplorist 510, this one kayak GPS is really handy to carry around and is also a waterproof one. This one GPS is fitted with a touch screen of size 3-inch and also has two hard buttons which are programmable.
By using this GPS you might get your hands pretty dirty at the time when you are kayak fishing. So, to have an alternative will probably be a nice idea for the purpose of touching the screen.
The Magellan eXplorist 510 features a microphone, a camera of 3.2 MP, and also a speaker for the purpose of making content geotagged on the go. Also, this one is loaded with a pretty huge collection of topographic maps. These topographic maps feature lakes around 12000 lakes in the United States.
In the Magellan eXplorist 510, there are two AA batteries that are there, and it keeps the spare ones on hand.
Technical Specifications :-
- The Magellan eXplorist 510 also has a high-end build quality and also high-end features.
- The Magellan eXplorist 510 is also equipped with a 3-inch touch-sensitive display.
- There is an easier to view screen of high resolution.
- This one device also has two hard buttons which are programmable.
- Features a camera, microphone, and a speaker
- It has already loaded topographic maps which have around 12000 United States lakes.
- This one is a costly one on the list.
- The second drawback of the Magellan eXplorist 510 on the list is that it consumes through batteries despite having a battery life of up to 15-hours.
- Another major drawback of the Magellan eXplorist 510 is that the visibility of the screen drops in the bright sunlight.
So, in short, to add up everything, Magellan is one of those GPS companies that are in the line of some of the leading industries. The Magellan eXplorist 510 is an expensive one, but still, the eXplorist 510 is one of the best kayak GPS devices that is available there in the market right now.
Now there comes another model from the makers of Garmin which is to be known as the GPSMAP 78sc. This kayak GPS device is the one that is a handheld GPS unit that is being specifically designed for watersports use.
The Garmin GPSMAP 78sc surely comes with an IPX7 water-resistance rating. But this is not it, the GPSMAP 78sc while having an IPX7 water resistance rating can float in water, too!
Although the Garmin GPSMAP 78sc is not compatible with GLONASS, for the purpose of having precise and quick navigation it utilizes WAAS-enabled GPS technology with HotFix prediction. Coastal charts and world base maps are the ones that are already installed in the GPS device, but still, you are eligible to load the maps in addition on a micro SD card.
If you are someone who is looking or searching for an ocean or sea kayaker, then it is highly recommended to you go ahead and choose Garmin’s GPSMAP 78sc waterproof and floatable GPS device. The GPSMAP 78sc is one of the highly accurate, handheld GPS devices that you can get your hands on.
Technical Specifications :-
- The very advantage of the Garmin GPSMAP 78sc is that it is suitable for marine environments.
- The Garmin GPSMAP 78sc also has a waterproof IPX7 rating and also this GPS device has a floating design.
- There is also a WAAS-enabled GPS receiver in the Garmin GPSMAP 78sc with a HotFix technology.
- In the Garmin GPSMAP 78sc there are already loaded world base maps, coastal charts, and it can also store maps in addition.
- The Garmin GPSMAP 78sc Waterproof Marine also comes with a battery system which lasts for about 20-hours.
- The disadvantage or say the drawback of the Garmin GPSMAP 78sc is that the screen of size 2.6-inch is small and is not sensitive to touch.
- Another drawback of the Garmin GPSMAP 78sc is that it is not GLONASS-enabled.
- And lastly, the interface of the Garmin GPSMAP 78sc feels more like an outdated one which makes it difficult to navigate.
Now, coming to Garmin’s eTrex 10, this is probably one of the best Kayak GPS in the market right now that you can get your hands on. Also, Garmin’s eTrex 10 is one of the best budget-friendly GPS on the market.
The Garmin’s eTrex 10 is one of the best Kayak GPS that is also having a low price range that is being accessible by almost most of the majority audience.
The Garmin’s eTrex 10 comes with a screen size of 2.2 inches and is also low resolution as well as monochrome one too.
Technical Specifications :-
- The best advantage of having the Garmin eTrex 10 as your kayak gps is that in terms of money, this gps device is cheap.
- Despite being cheap in the market, the Garmin eTrex 10 surely serves its users with many features.
- The Garmin eTrex 10 comes as the one which is tougher in nature.
- The Garmin eTrex 10 also has a water-resistant build.
- The Garmin eTrex 10 also comes with a WAAS-enabled GPS receiver.
- The Garmin eTrex 10 also has a GPS receiver that is GLONASS-compatible.
- Talking about the battery of the Garmin eTrex 10, it is a highly powered rechargeable one.
- It has outstanding performance with a battery life of 25 hours.
- The Garmin eTrex 10 has a straightforward use.
- In Garmin eTrex 10 there is indeed daylight readability.
- One of the major drawbacks of the Garmin eTrex 10 is that this one is a 2.2 inch screen fitted with a low-resolution, monochrome, display.
- Another drawback of the Garmin eTrex 10 is that in this the downloading of any additional maps becomes impossible to do due to the internal storage which is limited.
Now you no need to get confused by the price and the simplicity of the Garmin eTrex 10. The Garmin eTrex 10 GPS is a device that is easier to use, is waterproof, and has an accuracy rate as the rest of the GPS system devices.
Now coming down to our fifth choice of the best kayak GPS, Garmin’s eTrex 30x is basically as easy to use as the eTrex 10 one, and also in comparison to money, both of them are affordable. Despite sharing the ease of use, the Garmin eTrex 30x is much more accurate and faster. This one also comes with an upgraded screen.
The screen size of the Garmin eTrex 30x is small at about 2.2 inches.
The Garmin eTrex 30x has a color display which, even in the bright daylight, is readable.
Technical Specifications :-
- The very first advantage of the Garmin’s eTrex 30x is that for the purpose of accurate tracking and high sensitivity the GPS- and GLONASS-compatible with WAAS and HotFix is being enabled.
- The Garmin’s eTrex 30x has a built-in 3 axis compensated compass
- The Garmin’s eTrex 30x also has a barometric altimeter.
- Also the battery of the Garmin’s eTrex 30x is of high power and it lasts more than a day.
- ANother good thing about the Garmin’s eTrex 30x is its internal memory which can be expanded and comes with a micro SD card slot.
- One of the major drawbacks of the Garmin’s eTrex 30x that is worth mentioning here is that the already loaded world base map lacks any detail and looks very basic.
- Another drawback of the Garmin’s eTrex 30x is that it has a non-intuitive user interface.
- Despite the screen of the Garmin’s eTrex 30x being readable, the device is still quite small.
If you are someone who is not looking or searching to get settled for a device that has a monochrome screen, then the Garmin’s eTrex 30x is the right one for you and is also worth considering.
The screen size of the Bad Elf 2200 Pro is 2.1 inch.
The Bad Elf 2200 Pro also comes with an IPX4 Water Resistance. This certainly means any water that is being splashed from any direction against the enclosure will surely have no harmful effect.
The Basic Mapping Package is from the Data only.
Now, the particular thing that makes the Bad Elf 2200 Pro a great, powerful, and also helps in selling a lot is the fact that the Bad Elf 2200 Pro can be connected to up to 5 Bluetooth-enabled compatible devices, that too at a single time. This particular feature of the Bad Elf 2200 Pro can surely allow the entire kayaking group to use its GPS and the functions of its data tracking.
Now for this particular thing to do, it is highly required that the whole kayaking group must be using iPhones, for the purpose of having a connection that the software requires iOS 8.
So, in short, the Bad Elf 2200 GPS Pro is the one kayak GPS that is the right choice for all those people who are looking or searching for a GPS that is really easy and simple to use. In case you are someone who wants nothing but to simply accurate the navigation and nothing else, then in such a case, the Bad Elf 2200 GPS Pro GPS will prove to be the right one for you.
- The very advantage of this is that this one is really easier and simple to use.
- Another advantage of this GPS system device is that it can connect to up to 5 Bluetooth devices.
- One of the good things about the Bad Elf 2200 Pro is that it is really light and compact.
- The Bad Elf 2200 Pro is surely WAAS enabled.
- One of the major drawbacks of the Bad Elf 2200 GPS Pro that is worth mentioning here is that the functionality of the Bad Elf 2200 GPS Pro is really limited.
- In the Bad Elf 2200 GPS Pro, there are no mounting options.
- Another drawback of the Bad Elf 2200 GPS Pro is that it comes with only IPX4 water resistance.
- When it comes to compatibility with Android devices, the Bad Elf 2200 GPS Pro surely does face some issues.
The Garmin Montana 650 has a screen size of about 4 inches. The Garmin Montana 650 comes with IPX7 water resistance. This certainly means that there is resistance. In the Garmin Montana 650, there is a Basic Mapping Package of World base map.
So, it will be not wrong to say that the Garmin Montana 650 is something that you can get your hands on for the purpose of having a GPS system that is being designed especially for kayaking. The Garmin Montana 650 is really well suited to use on the water as it has IPX7 water resistance.
Keep one thing in mind before going to buy a kayak GPS from the market that the Garmin Montana 650 has a color display of 4-inch which is a transflective one and this Garmin Montana 650 can still come in use even at the time when the kayaking gloves are on.
The Garmin Montana 650 also has a memory which has a built-in 3GB storage that allows you to store up to 200 routes and also 4,000 waypoints.
- The very advantage of the Garmin Montana 650 is that this device comes with a fully in built battery having a life of 16 hours.
- The Garmin Montana 650 comes with 3 AA lithium-ion batteries.
- One more amazing advantage of the Garmin Montana 650 is that the camera of this device is 5 megapixel.
- It has a bluechart compatibility, which is a good thing.
- This device also supports geocaching and geotagging support.
- The very drawback of the Garmin Montana 650 that is worth mentioning here is that this device is slightly on the heavier side at 10.2 oz.
- Another drawback of the Garmin Montana 650 is that for the purpose of full utility, this device needs the addition of optional extras.
- One more drawback of the Garmin Montana 650 that can be mentioned in the con section is that in this device there is no GLONASS compatibility.
Talking about the screen size of the Garmin 72H it is of the size of 2.2 inch.
Also, the Garmin 72H comes with an IPX7 Water Resistance. This particular thing means that there is water resistance to a depth of 1 meter.
The Garmin 72H also has a Basic Mapping Package of World basemap.
Basically, the Garmin 72H is simply one of the most basic products that is being listed. The Garmin 72H comes with IPX7 water resistance. In comparison to any of the other options in GPS on the list, the Garmin 72H actually floats on water.
- Talking about the advantage of the Garmin 72H it has a good flotation.
- Coming down to the second pro or advantage of the Garmin 72H, it surely has an IPX7 water resistance.
- The sensitivity of the GPS receiver of the Garmin 72H is really high.
- The Garmin 72H comes with a large screen size of about 2.2 inch.
- In the Garmin 72H you will also be able to find a hunting and fishing calendar in it which happens to be a good feature of it.
- Inthe Garmin 72H there is also information of the Sun and Moon.
- One of the major drawbacks of the Garmin 72H that is worth mentioning here is that this device has some of the limited functions.
- Another drawback of the Garmin 72H is that the internal memory of the device is really low.
- There are no Marine Mount options in the Garmin 72H.
- Talking about the compatibility of the Garmin 72H with GLONASS, the device surely lacks any.
- The Garmin 72H is also not compatible with Bluechart.
Now to understand it better, the Garmin eTrex 20x is basically an improvised version of the eTrex 20 GPS device.
The eTrex 20x model of the Garmin series also comes with receivers that can track both GPS and GLONASS satellites for the users.
The Garmin eTrex 20x is one product that is really durable in nature.
The Garmin eTrex 20x is also a GPS device that is really easy to use.
By using the Garmin eTrex 20x, one can get access to more maps.
Technical Specifications :-
- Talking about the pros of the Garmin eTrex 20x, it surely comes with a lot of functions.
- The Garmin eTrex 20x comes with many features at a good price.
- One of the good things about this GPS system is that it is really easy to use.
- The battery life of the Garmin eTrex 20x is surely an exceptional one.
- The one and the major drawback of the Garmin eTrex 20x that is worth mentioning in this section of the article is that when it comes to the accuracy of the results, this device does not give or provide accurate results every time.
Finally, coming to the conclusion, it is already clarified earlier in this article that Kayaking is nothing but an invitation to explore nature. Now, the experience of the paddler surely does not matter or the fact that how well they are aware or know the waters.
The fact that at the time of kayaking, especially when it is being done through the water bodies like the sea or through a lake, the probability of losing the capability to navigate lessens as the adverse conditions increase like the foggy weather due to which it simply becomes very hard to look for the horizon and landmarks.
So, in order to ignore such situations and to increase the accuracy rate of navigation, it is highly recommended to invest in one of the best Kayak GPS systems as they help in increasing the confidence to navigate and the accuracy of these GPS systems are just perfect.
Also to simply understand that what makes a kayak device among one of the best kayak GPS devices is the fact that how smartly and also how safely have you invested in the kayak GPS device.
Now, if you go to the market to get your hands on any of the GPS systems that you come across in the market will most probably meet all of your basic requirements in navigation terms.
This is why, it is highly recommended that depending on what are your basic requirements and the things that matter most to you, you should choose the one for you.
The basic requirements that we are talking about here can be many things depending on you like the screen size of the device, the battery life of the device, the advanced mapping features, or the price of the device.
Although all of the mentioned Kayak GPS devices in this article are the best of the Kayak GPS devices, when it comes to select or choose only one of them then we will suggest the Garmin GPSMAP 64st for you to go along with.
The compatibility of the Garmin GPSMAP 64st with the GPS and GLONASS simply offers you useful navigation features of a broad range, expandable storage for the purpose to download any additional map you require and it also comes with a dual battery system. One more advantage of this Kayak GPS is that it is waterproof.
For more of our kayak reviews, check out our other posts: